So how can we study the Bible?
Here are 5 ways that I have found help me study and understand the Word of God.
- Read the information before the book. For most of my life I simply dove into a book of the Bible without reading all of the info. I never even knew who wrote many of the books. However, I have come to realize that the info there is so important. You can find out who wrote the book, who they were writing to, the time frame and so much more. It is great information to help you get started in each book.
- Utilize YouVersion. So many of the Bible names are hard to pronounce. When I was a child, one of my Sunday School teachers told us to replace those hard names with your own name. While it may be okay for awhile, I think it's important to know the names. God put those names in there for a reason, we should know them. One thing we love to do in our home is when we come across a hard to pronounce name, we open up the YouVersion Bible app, tap in the Scripture reference and let YouVersion read it to us. Then we hear exactly how to pronounce those names!
- Read the commentary. I have a study Bible with commentary at the end of each page. It has great information that helps explain what is going on at the time. Sometimes you read a Scripture and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The commentary explains how things were in that time which gives you a better understanding of the verse.
- Cross reference. Have you ever wondered what all those teeny tiny numbers and letters mixed in the verses were? Many Bibles have a center column with related verses. Find the correlating letters and numbers and it will take you to the related verses to give you a more in depth study.
- Journal. I love journaling things that God spoke to me as I read. But it's also great to write things down that you may not understand. As you write them, read the commentary on them and cross reference them, pray and ask God to give you understanding. He will reveal to you what He wants you to glean from the verses.
Studying the Bible is a great way to learn about God and know His heart. Don't give up because you don't understand what you read or know how to study. Press in.
Today I want to share with you the #1 best selling devotional, Jesus Calling. After many years of writing in her prayer journal, missionary Sarah Young, decided to be more attentive to the voice of God and began listening to what He was saying. So with pen in hand, she embarked on a journey that forever changed her life...and the lives of millions around the world.
In these powerful pages are the words and Scriptures Jesus lovingly laid on her heart. Words of reassurance, comfort, and hope, Words that have made her increasingly aware of His presence and allowed her to enjoy His peace.
Based on Jesus Calling, Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions for Kids has been adapted in a language and fashion that kids and tweens can relate to in their every day lives.
Jesus is calling out to you in the same. Do you hear Him calling?
To enter to win Jesus Calling and Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions for Kids, complete each task in the rafflecopter below.